Approximately two-thirds of Social Security disability claims are denied, according to some estimates, leaving many to question their options and next steps. The Chicago social security law firm of Ankin Law Offices, LLC can provide you with the legal advice and counsel necessary to navigate the Social Security disability claims and appeal process.
Five Mistakes to Avoid When Disability Claim is Denied
There are many reasons why the Social Security Administration (SSA) may deny a claim for social security benefits, such as a disputed medical condition, an incomplete application, or a determination that the applicant can return to work. Regardless of the reason the claim was denied, applicants should avoid making the following mistakes following a claims denial:
- Applicant fails to appeal the denial. Due to strict guidelines and regulations, many SSDIand SSI claims are denied on initial request, but many of those claims are granted once they reach the hearing stage of the claim. It is important to appeal a denied claim before the filing deadline.
- Applicant fails to provide sufficient supporting information and documentation. The Social Security disability claim requires a great deal of information regarding work history, medical conditions, medical treatment, and physical limitations. If your claim has been denied due to insufficient information, it is important to appeal the denial before the deadline and provide supplemental information.
- Applicant includes incorrect information with claim. If you have provided inaccurate information in the initial claim, you may file an appeal and attempt to clarify the information.
- Applicant underestimates or downplays the extent of the medical condition. Applicants should take care to accurately characterize the extent of the medical condition.
- Applicant fails to seek legal representation. A skilled social security disability attorney like those at the Chicago social security disability law firm of Ankin Law Offices, LLC can help you with your original claim and appeal, if necessary, to help ensure that the claim includes complete and accurate information.
Do not hesitate to contact one of the skilled Chicago social security appeals attorneys at Ankin Law Offices, LLC to schedule a free consultation to learn more about the Social Security Disability Claim.